Did you know…..
- Birds have no teeth. They “chew” their food by swallowing tiny bits of gravel. The gravel chews the food internally.
- Cats have 30 teeth and dogs have 42 teeth. Like humans, our pets can develop plaque, tartar and periodontal disease.
- Groundhogs have four large incisor teeth for biting off vegetation and gnawing through roots. These teeth keep growing through their lives because constant usage keeps wearing them down. They have 18 chewing teeth.
- The lion has 30 teeth. Instead of molars, they have four “carnissials” which work like scissors for cutting food. Lions don’t really chew their food because their jaw can’t move from side to side.
- A pair of tusks from an African elephant can weigh 465 pounds. The tusks of the extinct straight-tusked elephant measured 16 ½ feet long.
- Giraffes have 32 permanent teeth, just like humans. Their teeth can measure 17 inches long.
- A hippo is capable of biting a small boat in half with its sharp, 20 inch long teeth!
And now you know. Kids, you can amaze your friends with these "Weird Facts".